Friday, April 30, 2010

A little about my likes and dislikes

I'm involved in several exchanges, so I thought I'd post a little about my likes and dislikes here.

About Me

I've been stitching since I was a small child, thanks to my crafty mum - so that's more than thirty years, although it's only in the last ten or fifteen that it's become almost obsessive! I live in the middle of England with my Canadian partner (referred to in my blog as The Hermit) and two guinea pigs. I'm studying for a degree in Literature and Creative Media - principally because my other obsession is books! I also work part time for a circus theatre company as a Community Project Manager. My other hobbies include yoga, books, knitting and eating chocolate.

I have Multiple Sclerosis, which does mean I have to pace myself. I'm not very good at doing nothing though, so stitching is a real sanity saver!

I'm pretty easy to please on exchanges - this list below isn't intended to be prescriptive!

Favourites

Favourite designers: Bent Creek, Lizzie*Kate, Prairie Schooler, Shepherd's Bush, Little House Needleworks, Brenda Keyes, Heart in Hand, The Drawn Thread, Brightneedle, Homespun Elegance.

Favourite style: folky, slightly quirky, traditional

Favourite subjects: alphabets, bees, sheep, bunnies, seasons, stitching

Favourite colours: autumnal shades (rusts, golds, oranges), yellow, purple, green, jewel colours (rich rubies and the like)

Favourite threads: DMC, Gentle Arts Sampler Threads, House of Embroidery, most overdyes.

Favourite fabrics: evenweaves and linens in neutral/natural colours, 28 and 32 count.

Favourite finishes: anything - I have several baskets for "smalls".

Favourite techniques: cross stitch, blackwork, hardanger, freehand embroidery. For someone who likes blackwork, I actually try to avoid as much backstitch as I can on cross stitched pieces!

Dislikes:

Designers I'm not keen on: Marilyn Leavitt Imblum, Ellen Maurer Stroh, Vermilion Stitchery, Stoney Creek

Styles I'm not keen on: Sentimental, flowery, cartoon (Disney etc), conversions of artwork (HAED etc)

Subjects I'm not keen on: angels, fairies, cats, teddy bears, religious

Colours I'm not keen on: blue, pastel pinks

Threads I'm not keen on: Weeks Dye Works, rayons, metallics

Fabrics I'm not keen on: blues, bright primary colours

Finishes I'm not keen on: none

Techniques I'm not keen on: none

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.